I hit the road last Thursday after work and went out to the ‘burbs to hang out with my mom and take care of her terribly neglected roots. Just to clarify, I was the neglector; I haven’t colored her since before the wedding. Every time I looked in the mirror and saw my own 2 inches of outgrowth, I could only think about how the last time I did hers was a month before mine. Sorry mommy!!
Anywho, when I was out there hanging out with my momma, I got a bit nostalgic. Going out there always sets off little flashbacks in my mind of memories I have of my childhood, especially when I notice things like the little drawing on my bedroom door still up.
I have so many memories and it seems the more I think of, the more I remember. I’m thinking this may become an ongoing post series, but for now here are my top 20 off the top of my head…
- watching the sun shine shadows from the trees through the window onto my bedroom floor at nap time (that’s actually my happy place I think of when I get anxious)
- riding around in the van going house to house with my mom when it was raining on Halloween
- the smell of fresh-cut grass after my dad would mow the lawn on weekends
- wearing my mom’s black suede pumps to a dance
- my old red quilt and fuzzy green blankets on my twin sized bed
- feeling relief after getting sprayed down with something in the kitchen after breaking out in hives from penicillin
- roller skating in circles in the basement
- wearing my mom’s strand of little pearls
- using buckets to build snow forts in the backyard with my dad
- eating ice cream out of glasses after hours at the pool in Hilton Head
- getting excited when the doorbell started ringing for my dad’s Superbowl parties
- making German pancakes
- sleeping at my parents’ feet after a nightmare until they’d send me back to bed
- walking over to the library after school – I vividly remember the quiet and the smell of old paper
- the bunny stuffed animal my dad got for me when I was sick
- drying my hair under my mom’s blue hood dryer on her bedroom floor
- Lynn crying the first time she heard me play Heart and Soul on the piano
- being fearless during gymnastics at the YMCA
- both of my parents trying to teach me how to play guitar
- being scared out of my mind when playing bloody murder with Scott and my sisters and Scott would jump out of the trees
Can I go back, please?